Sunday, December 22, 2019

International Reading Association (IRA) Newsletter Weekly Project: Effective Literacy Website #1 Exploration

     The website that I like the most in my research so far is, https://www.whooosreading.org/.  Students read a book, log minutes, take quizzes and get coins for it. They can use their coins to customize their avatar and see each others progress and avatars on their classroom dashboard. The quizzes have opened ended questions instead of multiple choice ones which can give a better idea of their comprehension. A great feature of the website is that while they are typing their answers, a character might pop up and give them tips about how to improve what they're writing before they submit their answers. This will help them become more expressive and more efficient writers. Teachers can have up to 6 classes for free. The quizzes are pre-made and automatically scored. There are some extra feature available for an annual fee. I have not tried it with my students yet, but I will as soon as we are back in session. I also came across a student tutorial on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohfNW_yD8Y which helped me understand it a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment